Sunday, June 29, 2014

All the Single Ladies

This weekend I went to a dear friend's wedding. I hadn't seen her in 6 or 7 years but back in college we lived together for freshman and sophomore years. We were randomly assigned to be dorm roommates and it could not have worked out better. We are a little different but just enough that we got along great.

Anyway, that's why it was so important to me to be there to celebrate her marriage. I had to take a 3 hour flight to do it, I was only in town for 31 hours, but it was totally worth it to see her so happy and a newlywed!

When planning my trip, she coordinated with her (soon to be former) roommates and me that they would pick me up for the day. It meant I didn't need a rental car so I was game, but nervous about spending the day with 3 women I didn't know. I am super talented when it comes to anxiety so that was fun.

For example,  ladies said they would pick me up at 7:25 am and at 7:23 am I was waiting at the door and worried they forgot about me. But they were awesome! They drove up at exactly 7:25 am and I really appreciated it.

They literally let me follow them around all day--a 15 hour day--and I felt included and like I had known them for years and years. I tried hard to be unobtrusive and blend in to the crowd but it is hard when all I have to add to the conversation is stuff about my husband and 3 year old.  Three single ladies don't want to hear about married life and kids so I had no idea what to do with myself. But I got to talk too--I kept the happy family talk to a minimum,  but even then they didn't seem to mind my story of how I got my first date with my husband.  :-D

Basically,  what it came down to is I found out that single women are a lot more inclusive than married ones. To be perfectly honest,  a small, but distinct, reason I wanted to go to the wedding so bad is that I am lonely. I just don't have a bunch of friends that I do things with where I live. I have tried to get to know the women at church but that hasn't gone the best. At least not for any kind of Girls Night outings.

The wedding was beautiful and the reception was so much fun. I got to talk to my newly married friend for a few minutes here and there all day. It was wonderful.

I had a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment